The information here outlines the process by which admissions are made and processed for the secondary and primary school:
- Parents download the admissions form found in the admissions section or request a copy by email/post.
- Parents complete the form in clear, legible handwriting, ensuring they have signed and dated it in the correct place. Alternatively they can complete the application on a computer.
- Post the completed form to Avicenna Academy Admin, 4 St Hildas Road, Doncaster, DN4 5EJ – or – email as an attachment to email@example.com
- Once the application has been received, an acknowledgement email or card will be issued to detail a reference number that should be quoted in all correspondence with us regarding the application(s).
- Our main intake is for September of each year. Applications must be made (for a child of the correct age for admission) before the following August for the application to be considered. Decisions will then be made whether or not an application has been successful by the end of August.
- If parents have applied for a Reception place after our intake for September has been admitted, or for a place in another class, then the application will be placed on our waiting list for the appropriate class and will be considered should a place arise.
- During our routine admissions period for new student intake, we will invite those attracting greatest priority to the school for a short interview and examination. Parents and students will also have an opportunity to take a look around the school at this time.
What are the admissions criteria?
These are based on our selection criteria. These currently are:
A – Application and Interview
Since a shared ethos shapes a strong and vibrant school community we will be assessing the level of commitment to our school’s values in the interview stage and if we are not satisfied we may seek references. There will be intake tests as part of the admissions procedure where these tests will help to diagnose current knowledge and ethos.
B – Location
Applications are welcome from families residing anywhere in South Yorkshire, but Sheffield areas will have higher priority
Applications from any area outside of South Yorkshire will only be considered in special cases.
C – Social factors
We pay heed to applicants demonstrating a need for extra support due to social or domestic problems, as well as applications from members of staff.
D – Siblings already enrolled at the school
Siblings have very high priority but must sit entry exams and interview.
E – Mode of transport to school
The school encourages the use of “environmentally-friendly” forms of transport to school.
Please note: Should any two applications qualify equally for a single place then we will apply a closest-to-school oversubscription criteria and the closer address would gain the place.
Appeals on unsuccessful applications.
If parents feel that their child(ren)’s application has not been dealt with fairly they must put their concerns down in writing to the headteacher, within two weeks of the notification.
Admissions Register (for school use)
- On taking up a place at the school an entry is made in the Admissions Register.
- The Admissions Register is held on electronic format by the school admin.
- The Admissions Register is stored on the computer, copied electronically to a back-up password protected cloud storage.
- The persons responsible for the administration of the Admissions Register are the school admin such as the Principal and Vice-Principal.
- The following items are recorded in the Register:
- Full Name
- Name and address of all parents/guardians and/or carer with an indication of the parent/guardian and/or carer with whom the pupil normally resides
- At least one telephone number at which the parent/guardian can be contacted in an emergency
- Date of Birth
- Date of Admission / Re-admission
- Name and address of previous school
- Name of Year Group on entry (eg Year 7)
- Copies of the Admissions Register are held at the school for a minimum of 3 years
- The Admissions Register allows for the inclusion / deletion from the register and is done in line with the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006